Monday, January 08, 2007

back on track

I know I've been neglecting my blog. I've been thwarted by the festive season and the 'Things To Do' list. My new computer is just lovely - so stylish, and I've been playing with google earth quite a bit. It's like the time I went flying in a little Cessna over Cape Town, only I don't need to put on a seatbelt since it's unlikely I'll encounter any turbulence and bang my head on the roof... I've been visiting all my old spots, finding my mom's new house, looking at the old one - finding where we are in the world...even revisiting some of the places we've travelled to. The Nasca lines in Peru were a treat - especially since we didn't opt for the plane ride over the desert to see them when we were there. Easy to see the destruction too.

Ben is on leave now for a bit, which is nice. We can get a few things done on the house. He spent a bit of time under the house the other day putting in underfloor insulation - a tricky and time consuming job, especially on this house which has no consistency (built in 1930 with random other additions). Also a dirty, muddy, grubby job. He equipped himself with my old. cracked, skigoggles to protect his eyes from all the falling insects, dust, spiderwebs and bits, and is now sporting a bit of a bouffant hairstyle after vigourously washing his hair, and conditioning it. He also has more time to devote to the children, which can free me up to do a bit of work, or to update my blog. At the moment Ben is busy reading 'Hums of Pooh' to Mia, while lying on the floor so she can walk up and down his back - a fair trade I think: massage for story.

Joshka is having his morning nap. He's been a bit of a pain lately - at night (so what's new!?). We think it must be his teeth that are coming through and hurting. After a bit of paracetomol (for babies) he seems fine and will go to sleep, but without it he needs constant soothing to go to sleep. After much trial and error, we have ascertained it must be teething. The doctor confirmed his normal temperature, 'pristine' ears, perfect throat - thriving baby. When he's awake he's better, but extremely clingy to me. If I'm not around he seems to be fine, but the minute he sees me it's like he realises he's been without me all this time and on go the tears! A real mommy's boy. Mostly I don't mind - I like being so popular, but it does get a bit claustrophobic with a boy on my hip trying to get things done.

I'm still popular with Mia, but not nearly as much as Ben. A real daddy's girl. She's getting big so quickly and still amazes us with her observations. She's a sponge. Very clever! She makes us so very proud.