Sunday, December 10, 2006

dumb animal


I drove Mia to her grandparents yesterday (another sleepover 'adventure') when I had a close encounter with a Pukeko. It flew across the road, from right to left but it wasn't going very fast, or gaining much height. I saw the look in it's eye as it flew past my window - it knew it was doomed. A sickening, solid, warm THUMP on the passenger side front window, and it was gone. I didn't see it land, or fly away, or get squashed, but I knew I had killed it. Of course hearing "What was that, mommy?" didn't help my racing heart or ease the sick feeling in my whole body.

I drove the same route today and had a look for any telltale sticky remains at the side of the road, but I couldn't find my contribution to the huge number of New Zealand's roadkills. Of course it is a bit tricky at 80kms an hour.

Not a ding or a scratch on the car or the windscreen.
(Subaru)

2 Comments:

At 8:06 am, December 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps you didn't kill it. Perhaps it just got a bit of a thump. I had to remove another starling from my garden after it had got stuck on my anti starling sticky stuff on the roof, called Vamoose. Its claws were full of glue and I felt very mean releasing it, knowing that it couldn't claw...... I needed a brave man to help out, but alas, there was no one.

 
At 10:01 pm, December 11, 2006, Blogger linda said...

I don't think it would have survived. I kept thinking how awful and revolting it must be to hit a person. I'm sure I killed it - I'm not alone, others have had the same experience.
:(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home