Friday, September 19, 2008

jingle jangle

SO, having a garage full of avocados has spurred me into action... I've taken some to Joshka's playgroups, I've even sold a couple at the printers when I checked on a job, I've sold a few at Mia's kindergarten, quite a lot at pilates classes, a few at the flower shop on the way from the car to pilates, a couple at the 'frock shop' on the way out of pilates - I've even sold some door to door as an afternoon adventure with Mia and Josh. Mia was the number one door-knocker, I was the talker, and Joshka was the hander-over of a bag of avocados. It was actually quite a helpful exercise in meeting and introducing myself to our immediate neighbours. I met Carol from next door and the Korean (?) lady from next door with her little baby (she's knocked on the fence to ask for more!). I found out that the neighbours across the road lost their lovely black Labrador - she was run over a month ago - very sad since she was a very good guard dog: only EVER barked if something was happening (like naughty kids spray-painting the fence). There's a new black puppy to replace her, but he's been driving our neighbour (who doesn't eat avos) nuts with all the digging in the garden... Furthermore, we met Mavis down the road from Zimbabwe and her two boys... and all in all it was (surprisingly) quite an enjoyable experience! I've quite enjoyed not being extremely shy. However, my final coup de grĂ¢ce was to sell the remaining couple of crates at the Saturday market that happens every week at the park down the road.

I spray-painted my signs ($3, avocados), packed some colourful tubs, wore my most notice-me-dammit purple cotton top from Thailand, lined my pockets with one dollar and two dollar coins, packed the little fold-up wooden chair my grandfather made, and made my way to the market. I was a bit late, admittedly. I missed the steadfast, hardcore, early morning fresh-produce grocery shoppers at 7am and I also struggled to carry everything to where the action was. So I did what I could, and made myself comfortable under the nearest tree to my car. I'd sold 5 bags within 5 minutes before 2 official looking guys challenged my right to trade where I was. Yes, I agreed, I knew a license was required, but I'd had difficulty trying to track down the relevant person during the week, so I thought I'd do it all on the day...Gary...? Barry, they confirmed. I was very friendly and obliging, and it turned out, so were they. They offered to help me carry the load to the action and set me up next to the coffee van and opposite the entrance to the market, at the food corner of the market. It suited me fine, since I didn't want to compete directly next to the other vegetable sellers...who were selling outrageously priced avocados compared to mine (heh heh heh!). To my delight I met quite a few people I know- some parents from Joshka's play groups, one of Mia's kindergarten teachers, one of my volleyball mates, some of Mia's friend's parents...I suddenly felt like I was beginning to belong, that I was part of the community, and it felt good. Living in New Zealand, I don't tend to just bump into old school friends or acquaintances like I might if I were still in Cape Town. So imagine my surprise and delight to recognise a face that I hadn't seen in 10 years and one I'd tried to get hold of when we'd moved to NZ. I saw MIKE at the market. I met Mike in St Anton in my first season (same time I met Ben) in 1996 and at the end of the season we travelled with Lizzie and Freddo around Turkey. We shared some excellent times and great parties and the last time I saw him was when Lizzie, Ben and I did a trip around NZ in '98. I lost contact with him after that, even though I tried to get hold of him again. The BEST part of this story, is the fact that HE LIVES IN ROTORUA! It turns out I've met his wife and seen his sons at one of the play groups but not really spoken to her. Of course, now I will. I love the fact that I have one ready-made old friend living not far away and that Summer is coming and we can have BBQs and go to the lake with our kids etc. Just the knowledge that he's here has kept me smiling all week. That and all the cash in my pocket.

2 Comments:

At 7:58 pm, September 22, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

al of this makes ME VERY HAPPY TOO.
MOM

 
At 6:42 am, April 08, 2018, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rotorua seems like such an amazing place to live. Seems like there are people there from all over the world, and everyone seems so friendly and community-oriented. You are so smart to have picked it and so very lucky, too!
xxJulie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home