Tuesday, August 05, 2008

lefty's a righty.

I never realised how right-handed I am (even though I write with my left hand). Funny how an injury points out to you exactly how much you use that particular body part! Even if it's a little toe...would hate to be without one! I suspect that I have sprained my right wrist from a bit of a collision in the social volleyball last night. I am amazed at how hard it is to do simple things (turn the keys in the door, open up a new bottle of cough syrup- childproof lid, turn on the tap, open the fridge, fill up the kettle, open the milk - POUR the milk!).

I broke my left hand 5 years ago (also a social volleyball incident - in London) which saw me have plastic surgery to fix it (it was a butterfly fracture which left a bit of bone floating about; my fingers splayed at odd angles when I made a fist) - I almost felt posh having plastic surgery with the best of them in London's Chelsea Westminster Hospital...I remember being very amused to see the food menu come round - I had helped with the design of it not too long before with my work. Anyway, I had physiotherapy and everything, but it wasn't too bad considering it was my LEFT hand. OK, so I didn't write much, but hey, I use the computer now - mouse on RHS, no problem to clickety click! My right hand was absolutely fine to pick up the slack, so to speak.

Ben has been supportive - he bandaged my wrist last night and this morning. We concocted a Mickey Mouse splint last night to incorporate in the bandage (literally - Mia's Mickey Mouse ruler) which was discarded some time in the night. Too irritating.

Today, however, I am feeling pretty wimpish, considering I have a big fat cold too. I must have contracted a bit of the manflu going around, because, I tell you, it's hitting me HARD! It can't just be the regular flu (if there is such a thing) because I had a flu jab before Winter truly hit. I've had a revolting Lemsip thingy that you dissolve in hot water which had me covered in goosebumps the minute I drank some, and I suppose it IS doing a pretty good job of making me feel a bit better, but I could really do without all this toxic green stuff...the aches and pains, the blocked sinuses...the sneezes.

I'm trying to figure some code out for this website I'm working on and for the life of me I can't see what I've done wrong - it just won't work. I think I'll shelve it and get back to it another time.

4 Comments:

At 3:26 am, August 06, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

please pretend I am not your mother which will enable you to think about the following suggestion before you get your back up - what about acid free vitamin c tablets to boost your body's fighting spirit (in combatting the man flu)?
Very disturbing about the hand. Perhaps an xray is required?
no more comments.
not your mother.

 
At 9:30 am, August 06, 2008, Blogger linda said...

the wrist is an ancient memory at the moment- a twinge now and then, so definitely not a break. But I DID have a full on fever last night and was shivering hot and cold. Took my meds and went to bed! i feel coldy today, but am over the worst of it, I hope. Ironically I AM taking vitamin C and zinc (and Propolis?) and have been since the kids have been sick.

 
At 9:58 pm, August 07, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"not your mother."

Hehehe =)

Shame man! How're you doing today, any better?

 
At 3:22 pm, August 08, 2008, Blogger linda said...

:)
hmm. still not feeling fab. UNMOTIVATED is probably the 1st word to describe me. everything is a mission.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home