Wednesday, August 13, 2008

over it.

Ok, so it's all about your mindset - I get that now.

On Monday I was chatting to another mother about various things and the topic of the weather came up - doesn't it always!? We have had nearly a month of solid rain, with only a few hours of sunshine sprinkled in between. She lived in Europe for a while with her husband and 3 children before coming back to New Zealand this year. She was amazed at the "winter" and how mild and short it has been. She pointed out that the trees are already blossoming - it's actually SPRING. So yes, we've had a month of rain, and yup, it's been pretty nippy, but, she said: "is that it?". So she thinks that compared to eg. Belgium, our winter is easy. (I can't help thinking she most probably has more money and a warmer house than we do. She certainly lives in the 'posh' part of town.)

On Tuesday I was chatting to another mother, who has just moved to NZ from South Africa. She's from the Johannesburg area, so, unlike me (from Cape Town) is not used to 2 weeks of solid rain, let alone 4. She is so miserable with all the rain is so sick of winter. She looks totally depressed. She also has issues with immigration and red tape, so I attribute a lot of the misery to that, but it was quite interesting to see the difference in attitude.

The first woman is a New Zealander so she would be used to it. The second is a South African who would definitely not be used to it, I sympathise. I know that Jo'burg winters are nothing like Cape Town ones, or Durban ones and it will take some getting used to. She is also one of those well groomed women - her hair is always immaculate, finger nails painted...make-up skillfully applied. Not quite as suited to the NZ lifestyle as say, me.

I have lived in Europe through l0 winters, and summers. I have lived in South Africa through 26 glorious summers and winters. I guess I am somewhere in between these 2 women in that I know it could be more extreme, but i'm over it too, and would like some sun. In the meantime, I'm in my jeans, tie my hair back, moisturise (maybe), brush my teeth and get ready for the day.
Pretty much like I did everywhere else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home