Monday, March 26, 2007

27 March

Eleven years ago today I left South Africa to go to LONDON on a working holiday visa. Just for a year or two. I was hoping to get work in an advertising agency or something really nice. It was a little different than I expected, although, having said that, I seldom tend to have great expectations for fear of being let down. It was a big step for me, and of course for my mother. I'd lived at home until then and hadn't experienced 'flatting' or 'student digs' or anything like that. I was hugely relieved to have a friend to go with - especially one with such an excellent sense of humour. We found a flat and managed to pursuade some other friends to join us. I'd say it was a great experience, although, I'd never want to relive it again. It had a bitter ending after a quick 6 months.

But nothing's for nothing, eh?! I decided to go to St Anton in Austria (I'd been getting postcards from a friend for years!) and try my luck as a skibum...blissfully unaware of the odds of geting it right with the trusty South African passport. But somehow I got it right and it was a LOT of fun. The best fun! Pretty awesome spot to experience your first snow, ever. Great friends were made and a lot of braincells forfeited with red vodka and redbull shots (the best ever drink). It was hard at times, since I had a day job and had to serve beers to mates coming off the mountain after a great day on the snow. I'd do it again though. It was truly FUN.

St Anton was a door that opened for me - I could go back and work again for the next season. I could forget about London and my 2 year visa...I could look forward without commiting to coming home.

It's 11 years. I've travelled to many, many countries, made some wonderful friends (including my husband), lost a few, had 2 children, aquired British citizenship (and a passport), aquired New Zealand residency and am making my home here. I have some lovely memories and few regrets. It's been an incredible journey and I look back on it with fondness today, It's just a shame South Africa is so damn far away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home