Thursday, February 15, 2007

a pain in the neck



I seem to have been bitten on the neck by one of these beauties... but to be fair, it's all speculation, since I never actually felt the initial bite, or saw the culprit. I thought perhaps the necklace I was wearing had somehow pinched me, and then I felt a big bump. And then I looked in the mirror and saw what looked like a big red welt on my neck. Naturally I showed my paramedic husband and he thought I'd scratched myself (on purpose probably, tsk tsk). I felt in relatively safe hands since my sister-in-law was here too - and she's a nurse. But as is the way with these medical types, there wasn't much interest shown, and besides, it wasn't actually that painful. So I continued with whatever it was I was doing and tried not to feel it too much...and to wait until the next day to see how it felt. All the glands in my neck started swelling up and were tender - all the way up to my left ear. I went to bed hoping it would all be ok by the morning. Anyhow, after 2 days it still wasn't getting better so I went to a (very nice and duly concerned at the size of my swollen glands) doctor and am now on antibiotics. My left ear is slightly blocked, along with my left nostril and my left eye feels sleepy and warm. I feel lethargic and sleepy and slightly sorry for myself although I know I'm being ridiculous. I am fine, really. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, it's nothing.

So, I am now aware of the White Tailed Spider, which is one of a handful of spiders that actually bite in NZ, and is often attributed to mystery bites, where no suspect is noticed.

So, big scary insects and arachnids aside, I cannot express enough, how grateful I am that there are no snakes in New Zealand.

3 Comments:

At 4:37 am, February 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw naw Lind!!!!! That is HORREEEBLE that you got bitten and that the medics didn't take it seriously..... oopsie doepsie! I hope the damage to your ear and eye is not permanent. Drat. That means it is somewhere in your house and can get to your babies too!! A spring clean perhaps? or did it happen at Jo and David's?
love you - mom xxxxxxx

 
At 7:45 am, February 16, 2007, Blogger linda said...

no, it happened while we were gardening, or hanging up the washing...or something. It's not really a big deal! After a day on antibitics I feel better. THe worry fot the doctor is not so much the spider bite, but more the infection that could occur. My ear, nostril and eye are fine again.
:)

 
At 4:20 am, April 05, 2018, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I echo that about the bonus of no snakes in NZ! They certainly have them here. I’m not as afraid as I used to be—and I think that is because I am learning (thru experience) about their behavior (where and when they like to sun themselves in the middle of a hiking path!!), but they still scare the pants off me. Glad your spider bite had no long-term effects... yikes! I saw a dead one once in NZ. Scary little guys!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home