Saturday, January 27, 2007

Friday

Last night, for the first time in a long time, I knew it was Friday. Every day is the same, more or less, when you're an at home mother...a continuous Monday, or Saturday, depending on your mood, or your commitments. I knew it was Friday because firstly. there was nothing to watch on TV, and secondly, because I could hear the low bass -boom boom- of some party music in the near vicinity and some shouts and shrieks to accompany it. For the last four months we've marveled at how quiet our neighbourhood is, especially for being so central - weekends go by and all is quiet, except maybe for the voices next door (behind the wall) who are enjoying a barbecue. But mostly it's nice and peaceful and quiet. Today is definitely a Saturday - the boom boom bass started in the early evening...just when we were trying to get the children to go to sleep. I'm not complaining - really! The music's already stopped anyway, it's not like it carries on all night.

No...but what is getting me a bit worried is the plot next door, which is going to be redeveloped into 3 double story houses. I know it's progress and all that and there's nothing I can do about it...no, what's worrying me a bit is that the developers seem to have offered the fire service the current, single storey houses, to burn down. For training purposes. I can't say I'm very keen on the idea. Especially since it's all going to happen in February or March - hot hot hot weather. And what about the wind? What if it's blowing our way? I wonder if it's even legal. I suspect the fire service are wondering too - they've been around twice (that I'm aware of) to have a look around and walk around the property. That's when I asked them if there was a problem and they explained their situation. My jaw literally dropped when they said they might burn it. The logistics of it were still being discussed at that time.

The wily developers! When we spoke to them (we had to come to some agreement about the fence that's going up) they weren't sure whether they were going to tear down the buildings or 'relocate' them...some bright spark obviously had an idea... (!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home