Thursday, January 01, 2009

random thoughts

I'm really impressed with the rubbish collectors here in Rotorua. Our collection day is a Thursday, which this year fell on Christmas day as well as New Years day. I really didn't expect them to collect on these days: I thought it would no doubt be postponed for a couple of days. Nope. Not our guys! They were up bright and early "hooning" (now there's a Kiwi word I've learned) down the street making light and fast work of their Christmas morning and New Years morning collections. And what's more, they seemed cheerful enough. They still waved at the kids.

My Christmas was excellent. It was a first for us to have our family wake up in our own home and find a heap of presents under our own (fake) tree, decorated with our own (as yet sparse) Christmas decorations. The children are at such a brilliant age: they're not expecting fancy or expensive gifts and are just filled with wonder at the joy of receiving ALL these presents! We were also lucky to have Ben's parents spend the night with us to share in the wonderful moments as we all opened our presents. I loved the things I was given, which were all chosen with care and love and some humour too. And it felt great to see the things I had given being enjoyed too. I had a really, really lovely time.

It's always been a bit of a strange time for me - there was never really a tradition in my family for Christmas. I was often with my Dad for the holidays and each year we were treated to a new place, a holiday adventure to the South Coast, or a CRUISE (which I really enjoyed!) or a holiday to Mauritius (quite a few to Mauritius!) which was just fantastic. If I was with my Mom it was sometimes a holiday to Pearly Beach (not often enough - I wish I'd had more) or a family lunch, followed by a quick getaway to the beach! I don't remember having a Christmas tree at our house - did we Mom? I don't remember decorating it. I know there was one in Durban at my Dad's place, but it was always up before I arrived. Anyhow, I'm enjoying it a LOT with my children because it feels like a first for me too. Even packing it up is enjoyable. It's something I did with Joshka, who is the King of packing things away. Making them fit. Taking them out and putting them back. He was my little helper when Mia was away on a play date (and being corrupted by McDonalds).

I took Joshka shopping with me one day and made the mistake of going past a toy section. He was transfixed by everything but picked out a toy (a pony with a doll that can ride it, a bucket and a carrot) which he thought Mia would like. He wouldn't let it go: "For Mia, for Mia!". So I asked him if he wanted to buy it to give to Mia for Christmas, and would he like to help me wrap it? He was very happy with that idea and was an excellent little helper. Mia saw the present on top of the cupboard and tried SO hard to find out what it was but I wouldn't tell her. Instead I let her choose something to buy for Josh. We were in a shoe shop a few days later and Joshka managed to find a pair of Bob the Builder shoes, in the right size and put them on the correct feet and came to show me (proudly). Mia decided she would buy them for Josh. My sweet kids.

Mia was in one of her lovely cuddly moods the other morning and told me: " I love you so much, I could cuddle and kiss you all the way to AFRICA!"
"Wow!" I said.
"I love you so much I could cuddle and kiss you all the way to AUSTRALIA!" she continued.
"Wow, that's FAR Mia" I said, smiling.
"I love you so much I could cuddle and kiss you all the way to..."
PAUSE
"...all the way to...GOD."

I didn't quite know what to say to that, I just wanted to remember it forever. So we DID cuddle and kiss and tickle and giggle.

1 Comments:

At 4:49 am, January 03, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How absolutely lovely. You are so blessed to have these family moments and your children are so lucky to have you as parents.
No, we never had a Christmas tree, because you were never at home with me for Christmas as far as I remember. What was the point of putting up a tree for myself? Perhaps you were home later in your life when we had a family celebration at Pearly or at my house, but as you say, not with a tree. Sorry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home