Wednesday, July 16, 2008

8 random things

Following on from my previous post...
OK. Here are 8 random things about me, that not a lot of people might know.

1. I can't live without my "Amazing Flygun" . I don't consider us to have a fly problem, but you know, in summer, the buggers manage to get in the house...and so with Mia and Josh in tow, we go on a FLY HUNT! "We're going to catch a big one, we're not scared! What a beautiful day..." My flygun in one hand and my dustbuster in the other (sometimes they are just stunned, but if I suck them all up, at least I get rid of them). There's something really satisfying about it. (Oh, it's very effective on a cockroach too.)

2. Once, I had the experience, or the sensation, that I could breathe underwater. I think I was swimming just under the surface when I felt like I could breathe...it's very hard to explain. But after 3 or 4 "breaths" the little voice in my head was making a pretty valid argument that this was impossible and maybe I was actually drowning? I wasn't. I'm sure of it. But I didn't want to experiment for too long, so I lifted my head for air (I wasn't out of breath or anything) and breathed normally. Of course I couldn't recreate the same feeling again...much like trying to get back into that really good dream you were having before something woke you up.

3. When I told this guy I met about my "I can breathe underwater" experience (I don't know how it came up), he knew what I meant: he'd ALSO had a similar experience. What are the odds?? I don't think he was that desperate to impress...and I still talk to him about it sometimes, since I'm married to him now.

4. All my ex-boyfriends have international passports. All of them have left South Africa and live overseas (apart from my very 1st boyfriend). I think it was pretty inevitable that I would end up living overseas. I manage to keep in contact with them all, albeit briefly, every now and then.

5. I discovered the value of girlfriends too late in life. I have some wonderful girl friends and I am truly lucky lucky lucky to have them - I just wish we could all live in the same country.

6. I've always been self conscious about my tummy. It's not an ironing board kind of stomach. I look back at photographs now and think "OH MY GOD, IF ONLY!"... I remember the first time Ben fell asleep behind me and wrapped his arm around me how I lay there for a bit holding my stomach in until I was reasonably sure he was asleep. Of course, I loved being pregnant and not worrying about "letting it all hang out"! Which is followed by the current me, who has a post pregnancy mummy tummy. I'm trying to get down a size or 2 but have been hampered by my back so haven't really been able to do as much as I wanted to. I also have a weakness for a biscuit with my coffee or tea, but I'm pretty sure everyone knows that about me.

7. When I was sent to the shop to go buy some ciggies for my mom... (can't do that these days!), I used to buy 2 chocolates for myself and eat one really quickly on the way home so it would appear that I only bought one, which I could savour, to eat at home. I sometimes still do that. The only person I'm fooling is myself, right?

8. I just really don't like kidney beans. The texture...it's all wrong. One of the first things I learned on our travels in Central and South America was to ask for my meal without beans, please. The ONE time we were taken into someone's home and made to feel part of the family (they were a really lovely family in Mexico) I tried my utmost - my absolute BEST - to finish what was on my plate...I managed half, but I really couldn't. I honestly tried, but I just could not go on. I still feel bad about that, but at least I know I tried my best. I usually do. One can but try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home