Friday, May 25, 2007

She's only 3.

We were snuggling in bed this morning - Mia, Joshka and myself. Well, Josh was determined to stand on my head, balancing on my forehead...it made them both giggle. I knew it had to be about 7am since they were both more than ready to be out of the covers rather than in them, like me. I took a deep breath and prepared for the day, "Right, ready steady..." only to be interrupted by Mia: "Can you say 'DADDY'?" (That's what I thought she said.)
"Yes. 'Daddy'"
"NO - 'Deddy'!" she yelled.
"Deddy?"
"NO! Debbie!"
"Debbie?"
"Hmm!" (nodding) "That's MY name!"
"...OK..?" ????
We got out of bed and I proceeded to make sure they were both warm enough - chasing Mia to put on her pink fleecy gown (she does love pink) as well as Joshka, with his blue starry gown. All the while I was trying to find out who "Debbie" was. No, she is not at Kindergarten. No, she's not the little girl who once came to play when Mia was staying with Jo and David for a weekend. Over breakfast Mia informed me (bear with me - I'm only repeating what she told me) that Debbie was a girl with blonde hair...who Mia brought to Auckland when Mia went to visit a neighbour- not with me - way back when Mia was Daddy's size (not bigger than Mommy, just Daddy) - " a long, long time ago. It's a long drive to Auckland and she was in jail, so I had to save her."
Right, that clears that up then.
It's very interesting and refreshing to get an insight into some of what goes on in her head!

This afternoon I took a walk into town with Joshka in the pram and Mia walking beside it, holding his hand, It was a lovely time - neither of them wanted to let go of each others hands. Eventually (as I had anticipated) Mia's shoe 'bit her' and she opted to ride in the pram as well. (It can accomodate 2 - Mia in the bottom and Josh in the seat on top). It quietened down once she got in and the commentary of where we were going and what we were seeing stopped. Soon she was fast asleep (very rare these days for her to sleep during the day) so I tipped the seat down and tucked her in with the blanket I'd put in just in case. We headed home eventually and I let her wake up naturally, which seems to always be the wiser option. Sure enough, a good mood ensued. I asked her a bit later if she had enjoyed her snooze but she just looked confused.
"Don't you remember your snooze in the pram?" I asked.
A shift in her expression...and then she shook her haid and said: "No. I was just basking in the sun..."

1 Comments:

At 6:04 am, May 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell Debbie/Mia/ whoever, that no-one understands basking in the sun better than her ouma and that her ouma also KNOWS for real that shoes bite. Ouma also had two invisible friends that only she could see....... They were both called little Mariechens - in Afrikaans, Mariechentjies - my mariechentjies. I also had two wooden planks, sort of silhouettes in the shape of a person, and they too were called my mariechentjies...
The child has imagination - that is great and I am so glad you are such a playful mommy who is creative enough to let it develop.
Love to my little Mia girl xxxxxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home