Saturday, April 11, 2009

Friends and Family

I have been so lucky to see a lot of friends in my short time here in Cape Town and have even bumped into faces I'd never have expected to see. That's one of the things I long for in NZ (unlikely!) so that's nice.

I've seen family too - a quick trip up to Durban to see my Dad and that side of the family. It was quite weird to think that we might not ever meet like that again. My brother intends to move to Australia with his in-laws at the end of the year, leaving a massive gap in the lives of everyone left behind in Durban. Who will be able to answer mechanical questions, get the door to close properly, rescue someone from a giant creepy crawly thing...? "John..!" will no longer result in a helping hand. Everyone knows they will miss him. When he and his family go, other family memebers may follow and everybody will be split up. It will be interesting and I wish him and his family all the best with the move.

Although it was just one quick evening and a morning, I managed to pack in some one on one time with my father while he took me round the circuit at the gym with his carefully researched and planned workout, targeting all the major muscle groups. I'd like to say I kept up, but he's lifting some serious weights...and looking really good for it. Keep it up Dad, you're looking great.

I'm so impressed by my parents who have both, independently, kept up their physical activities at the gym. My father has a scientific approach and my mother loves to feel the beat and dance herself fit in the step class. She's nearly fanatical I think. It's great - she really enjoys it so much. I nearly joined her for a class but opted for a run on the treadmill instead. In NZ I would be running around playing netball twice or three times a week so I thought I should run to keep up my fitness.

*FFFFFffft* (Me deflating) I haven't managed to keep it up, of course. At least I'm trying more than I have in the past though. Let's hope all is not lost in the 17 days I am away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home