Thursday, October 16, 2008

Bodes well.

Since my current sport (indoor volleyball) is played in winter, I tend to be fitter over that time, and suffer a bit over the summer months now that I'm no longer a Camps Bay beach volleyball "local". I used to love cruising down to the beach to see who would arrive - grab a game or two or three before sunset(and sometimes beyond). That all changed with my decision to travel and sadly I've not dabbled with much beach volleyball since. It's been easier to find an indoor club in London (not many beaches there are there!?) and now in Rotorua, which is inland. So winter is it, leaving me with pilates or yoga over summer. Now pilates and yoga are good, but they don't quite get those endorphins going like a team sport.

I tried running, didn't I? Hmm. I can do it around the forest a bit. Can't say I'm liking it much though.

SO. What to do? Well chatting to Maria (of the wonderful reference fame)- she is playing in a netball tournament next February for women aged 30+. The oldest in their team is over 45. I checked to see if I can play too, but Ben's shifts are not favourable over that time and we can't squeeze anymore days out of his leave because we both are planning our overseas trips around it. I asked her and she asked the team coach if I could tag along for trainings (always nice to have more people to train with) and the response was most favourable! Great! For those who are not aware, netball in NZ is huge - very well covered in the press, and Rotorua is full of excellent past and present players. So the standard of coaching and workout is extremely good. Two years ago I played netball and realised I was benefitting more physically from a netball training than from a volleyball training. (Still love vb more though).
I joined them last night and loved it. Hard work! Lots of running around - brutal! But I feel great for having done it. And the girls (women!) all seem lovely, which makes a change from my previous experience - didn't enjoy that group of girls much at all.

All this bodes well for my summer physique! It bodes well for being toned in my red dress! Plus, when volleyball training starts in February, I'll already be cruising - shouldn't suffer any stupid injuries or anything.

Next week the group are meeting at the outdoor pool for some aquajogging. They're really intent on conditioning the bodies (since we all realise we take longer now) and seem to have a brilliant plan for getting the women ready, fit and able for their tournament in February.

1 Comments:

At 8:02 am, October 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you!!!!!! I am glad. I know all about those endorphins.
Best of luck and look after yourself especially since you are a giraffe on a netball court ....
We don't want scars and injuries at all considering the red dress and all.
love
mom xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home