Friday, November 10, 2006

Remembrance Day

Tomorrow is Remembrance Day – the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month…but today is MY remembrance day. It was today, 5 years ago that I suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage*, or a stroke – a bleed. I am one of the lucky ones to have walked away from it the same person I was. I didn’t die like a third of people do, nor have serious disabilities like another third of people do. No. I am relatively unscathed, apart from perhaps being a bit more tired than I used to be.

So today I am grateful. Grateful to be alive. Grateful to be alive and to have been able to have two children. Grateful to have had a natural birth for both of them. Grateful that I am alive to still be with my husband, and friend, Ben – who is much more than that, of course. Grateful for both my parents who are alive and well, as well as my two grandmothers who are in their 90’s. Grateful to be able to laugh and chat with my friends all over the world, Grateful for the internet and email and text messaging and telephones. I am sobered on this day, every year, to what could have been- what might have been. I’m extremely grateful and humbled by modern medicine – to my neurosurgeon at King’s College Hospital in London. Considering all the places I have traveled to, and all the remote places I have been, I am eternally grateful for having been in London on this day, 5 years ago, and to have had Ben with me to take charge, call an ambulance…call a taxi…and be there by my side when I needed him. Today I remember that I am lucky to be alive and I am happy to still be here. I am thrilled to witness how my children are exploring and experiencing the world. Today I am reminded that even if I’m feeling low, at least I am feeling something .It makes me happy to be alive.

Actually, for the first time, I have not been reliving the whole thing. I think it’s perhaps because I am not living in London anymore, where things could trigger the memories. So for me it’s refreshing to have arrived at today without angst and dread.

I’m grateful to be here. And loved.




*Background:
Subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) implies the presence of blood within the subarachnoid space from some pathologic process. The common medical use of the term SAH refers to the nontraumatic types of hemorrhages, usually from rupture of a berry aneurysm or arteriovenous malformation (AVM). The scope of this article is limited to these nontraumatic hemorrhages.


Frequency:
In the US: Annual incidence of nontraumatic aneurysmal SAH is 6-25 per 100,000. More than 27,000 Americans suffer ruptured intracranial aneurysms each year. Annual incidence increases with age and probably is underestimated, because death is attributed to other reasons that are not confirmed by autopsies.
Internationally: Varying incidences have been reported in other areas of the world (2-49 per 100,000).
Mortality/Morbidity:

An estimated 10-15% of patients die before reaching the hospital. Mortality rate reaches as high as 40% within the first week. About half die in the first 6 months.
Mortality and morbidity rates increase with age and poorer overall health of the patient.
Advances in the management of SAH have resulted in a relative reduction in mortality rate that exceeds 25%. However, more than one third of survivors have major neurologic deficits.
Race: Blacks have a higher risk for SAH than whites (2.1:1) (Broderick, 1992).

Sex:
Incidence of aneurysmal SAH is higher in women than in men.

Age:
Mean age of SAH is 50 years.

9 Comments:

At 9:54 am, November 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mariechen said:
Linda, you made me cry. I am even more grateful than you can ever be because you are my most beloved one and only child. I cannot bear to even think what life would have been like if you had not been saved. I am also humbled.
You were obviously saved so that the rest of us could learn something from your special wisdom.

 
At 9:14 am, November 16, 2006, Blogger linda said...

thanks vic. sned love to your family...when can I read what you are all up to?

 
At 9:15 am, November 16, 2006, Blogger linda said...

I don't know about special wisdom, mom, but at least a 'near death' experience has taught me to be grateful for each day.

 
At 8:31 am, November 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree w/ your mother about your special wisdom! Thanks for letting us in on your life thru this blogthing!

Best wishes to you and the other 3 pages.
julie

 
At 8:33 am, November 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous is julie of samandjulie fame... :)

 
At 10:15 pm, November 22, 2006, Blogger linda said...

thanks julie anon - knew it was you! great to know you are enjoying keeping in touch in a manner of sorts! xxx me

 
At 3:34 am, November 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this at work a while ago - probably the day you posted it, but because of our fascist internet security I can't post on here due to possible adult content *sigh*

I will never forget the day I found out - I'm always amazed at the trials and tribulations that you've had to go through - breaking your back, your asthma attacks and then that day...

Now looking back, it doesn't surprise me at all - you're one of the most inspiring women I know and I'm honoured to call you my friend

*huge hugs*

 
At 8:21 pm, November 24, 2006, Blogger linda said...

gosh...thank you. - speechless -

 
At 1:31 pm, March 26, 2018, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ARE one of the most inspiring women I know, and I, too, am honored to call you my friend! Well said, Ness!!
If my math is correct, it has been sixteen years now. I still remember when we found out. So glad you are one of the lucky ones. Linda.
Love you!
xx Julie (still “anonymous...” :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home